About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Seventh Day

So today I read to them. Although I went quickly through it. I also forgot that the document camera was zoomed in and they couldn't see the book I was reading from. I was hoping they would find it cooler, but of course I am just a geek. I wonder if they will like it when I refer back to it.

Class went well, but I had to repeat myself several times because students weren't listening. There was also confusion between the journal page we were in and the page of the textbook we were on. I made note in my head to make this more clear. I think it is something to consider when implementing math journals in class. I am doing research on the use of math journals. I will have to research how tho structure this better. I kind of know how the kids feel. I felt the same way in Teacher Research or Literacy class not knowing in which journal or notebook to write in. I am learning a lot about what is working with the journals and what is not working with the journals. Some students were really dragging their feet and didn't have their books, journals, or pencils. I think I caught students who weren't writing sooner and got them to get their journals sooner. I don't know how much they were writing. I think I have to get up and walk some more while I am waiting for them to copy stuff down. I noticed one student was writing more stuff down and I was glad to see that. Before he was talking too much and not writing down enough.

I had a lot of talking today though. I don't think it was one student specifically, but several students. I stopped what I was doing to talk to them about being respectful and asked for their attention. I told them that their behavior needs to improve because my teacher is coming to this class on Thursday. I threatened them with referrals as well. I don't know if it worked. I think I will have to real change up the seats, so that I follow through with changes that I talked about.

So all in all it wasn't a great day, but it wasn't exactly a bad day. I think I am getting a hang of it. I am not perfect and things aren't just like I want them, but that is the life of the practicum teaching. However I think I have really bounced back form that really bad day I had last week.

I am looking forward to what I have planned for my adviser because I think I am better at controlling a class when they are working on homework. I don't know how well I am doing with controlling the whole class during whole class direct instruction. This may be because I am used to one on one tutoring more than actually teaching. I am still a little worried about my adviser coming, but I think I like the structure and what I have planned for that day. I am worried about what they will say.

So here is hoping this week ends well. Time seems to be moving so fast and yet so slow. My unit is almost over and I can't believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment