About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Monday, November 8, 2010

My First Day

So my first day was on a Friday and I was just really doing the pre-test. I introduced myself to the class and talked to them what I would be doing while I was at school. I then shared with them something about math and myself. I told them about my favorite numbers which are triangular numbers and perfect numbers. I had students provide me with factors of the numbers and asked them questions that would relate these numbers to their lives. I did this so that I was just babbling at them. They were a little rowdy and not paying attention, but I think that they were not used to this set up and me as a teacher. I went on to tell them more about me. I then explained the pre test and how they wouldn't know anything on the test. I told them that it was not going to be graded and should do their best. I had one student finish really early and I noticed did not try the back at all really. I began to hand out progress reports and textbooks to those who had finished. I wanted the students to read the new textbook. However that did not really happen and things got chaotic. I was bombarded with students questions, trying to keep everyone on task, and passing materials out. I did not really structure it well. My cooperating teacher helped keep students on task while I was busy with what seemed like a million other things. I did not get to the directed reading activity I had wanted because it took too long passing out books and progress reports. However as first days go I don't think it was that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment