About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Honors Calculus

I don't think I am going to go slower necessarily, but I know I won't cover as much content. I think I might throw in more review days. I can have them fill out the vocab cards, work on the review in the textbook, and have them work on another review sheet of problems.

I can have them work on a review sheet of problems and then present. That means that will be two days of reviewing. Then have them work on the review problems in the textbook in class the third day and whatever they don't finish is homework. The fourth day could be finishing the vocab cards and having me check them. That is way more review time then I plan on giving my AP class.

Content:
Functions and their properties (chapter 1)
Limits and Continuity (all of chapter 2)
Derivatives: basic definitions and uses, basic rules, trig, chain rule, exponential and logarithmic (3.1-3.6, 3.9)
Applications: Extreme values, optimization, and curve sketching (4.1/4.4, 4.3)
Integrals: Approximation, FTC (evaluation), and u-substitution (5.1/5.5, 5.4, 6.2)
Application of Integrals: Net Change, Area, and Volume (disc and washer, but no shell or cross sections?) (7.1 - 7.3)

I was talking to the other honors calculus teacher and he pointed out reviewing functions would be good. I used to do a review period at the start of the year that covered chapter 1, but eventually stopped to give myself more time to focus on the Calculus content before the AP test. So I won't cover chapter 1 with my AP class, but I will cover it with my Honors Calculus class.

No comments:

Post a Comment