About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Calculus update

So I still plan on flipping the classroom for my calculus class and using the model and structure I talked about in my previous post. I however just found out I will normally have 50 minute classes then every other Wednesday I will see the class for 90 minutes. So I am thinking that the 50 minute classes I will have students get in groups to solve a problem then present. I won't get through all the presentations in one 50 minute class usually so Monday and Tuesday I should be able to get through a section of content. Then Thursday and Friday get through another section. I was wondering what to do with the long Wednesdays though.

I am teaching two sections of AP Calculus and one section of Honors Calculus. I was thinking the long Wednesdays could give the AP class time to practice AP questions. We can practice Multiple choice questions and once we get far enough we can practice Free response questions. I can still have them get in groups and present free response questions. The free response question presentations can still go in the presentation part of the grade.

I think for the Honors Calculus I can use the long Wednesday for Free Response questions that review what we learned so far as well. I just won't use AP ones. I will use practice ones from a couple different textbooks I have. Those should be easier for them, but still somewhat challenging. I might have to edit them since I plan on not teaching all of the same content in the Honors Calculus class. I might just find difficult or challenging problems over stuff they have covered for them to work on and present.

This will set aside time to go back and review previous content. It will also help to connect several concepts together since free response questions cover several content areas. It will also give them plenty of practice on free response questions through out the year. I usually only did it at the end of the a unit and I think this might give them more chances to practice. I also waited until I finished all the content to really focus on free response questions when students gave individual presentations on free response questions.

I think I will also use it as time for them to review and update their vocab sheets. I was planning on giving time for this at the end of the unit, but if I do this through out the unit then I won't need to save as much time. It will also be a way for students to review and solidify concepts that they have previously learned. I plan on checking and grading the vocab sheets at the end of the unit before the unit test as well so this will give them more time to work on it and get feedback from me. It will also chunk out the assignment more I think.

So I found out the students have the textbook I had been using to make all my tests. So I can't really use my previous tests since most of the questions the students already have access to. I can pull off the questions that got from other textbooks. I think for quizzes I will use multiple choice questions and short answer question that are similar to AP questions from other textbooks. Then for the end of the unit exam I think I will use free response questions from different textbooks. I will have one free response question with calculator and one without.

However for the Honors Calculus I think the end of unit exam may be a lot of short answer questions from various textbooks that will be similar to free response questions, but not as hard. I want to change the level some since they are taking a lower level.

No comments:

Post a Comment