About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Math is a Universal Language

So a while back each of the foreign teachers met with the Chinese teachers in their subject. So I talked with the Chinese math teacher. Since I only teach grade 11 or juniors I talked with the 11th grade math teacher. So we talked about limits and being clear for the AP test. He asked about the definition of limits. I showed him my textbook that had the definition using delta and epsilons. I told him that they did not need to know that for the AP test. So we were having a good conversation. Then I asked him what he taught. He teaches them the math on the SAT II test. So this semester they are preparing for the SAT II math test and then next semester the Chinese teacher will help them review for the AP test. I find it really weird that they take the SAT II subject tests because no one in America takes them. Everyone just takes the SAT I.

I asked him what he covered so I could understand the background and foundation before Calculus. He often couldn't understand the english words I pointed to. However when I showed him equations or symbols he understood. I think that is part of the beauty of math that it is a universal language. I had a lot of my conversation with graphs, equations, symbols, and hand gestures. I had a translator too, but I was happy to communicate using math. It was amazing to see. I just hope we can have more productive conversations about Calculus as the year goes on.

There was a photographer at the meeting that took a picture of me speaking with the math teacher. It was put on the billboards in front of the school. It was kind of cool to see my photo up there. There is also a general photo of me with my name and what I teach up on the school billboards. I just wanted to show you the pictures of the math meeting and cross cultural communication:


That is me, one of our Chinese staff to translate, and the 11th grade math teacher. I have all of my calculus textbooks out in front of me and my syllabus.

The other math teacher works with the 10th graders and 11th graders was talking with the other Chinese math teachers. I think he had a much more productive meeting than I did.

I think we are going to have another meeting with the Chinese math teachers. That should be very interesting.

1 comment:

  1. That's really neat that you were able to communicate using math. I do wish I'd learned more math terms in the languages I have studied.

    Most of the colleges I applied to required SAT II's. Maybe it's an east coast thing?

    --Ariela

    ReplyDelete