About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Women in STEM Fields in China

So first off let me say this the stereotype that Chinese students are good at math is mostly true. Most of my class are great mathematicians. The top students in my class ask some of the most difficult questions which I have learned how to field. I often have to say what a good question why don't we discuss or let me get back to you. When I went to a comedy show recently and told the comedian I taught math he just laughed. The comedian could not get over the fact that I taught math to Asians and told me I should brag about it. Well I don't know about bragging, but it is difficult and rewarding work. I am spoiled and think that these will be the best math students I ever had.

Let me tell you though this ability to excel at math occurs in both girls and boys. In China I don't think there is a gender bias if you are interested in STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) fields because the school system crams math and science down everyone's throat. You have no choice, but to be good at math and you must take tons of high level courses. However recently I was talking to a couple of girls about women in STEM fields and was intrigued with their responses.

One of my junior Calculus students asked me about careers in the STEM field. She asked me about actuarial work and about accounting. She asked me which was better for women. Apparently her mom thought accounting was more appropriate for a girl. I said that you should not let anyone's opinion about what is appropriate or not appropriate based on your gender stop you. I told if you should just do what you think you are best at and will enjoy. I told her that it was comments like those that often stop girl (or boys for that matter) for entering certain fields. Although what you have to remember is the parents have a lot of say in what their children study and my students for the most part listen. Almost all of my students parents want them to become engineers, doctors, or go into some other STEM field. Because of the one child policy in China the parents depend on their children to get good jobs that will allow their children to support them in their old age. It is a very different reality from American students that are taught to speak their mind and discuss decisions with their parents. I vividly remember my father talking to me about career options before I went to college and about everything I could do with a math degree. However I knew my passion was for teaching and I knew I was going to be a math teacher. I had the next five years planned out by myself and knew that path ended with me teaching high school math.

Then recently another incident involving girls in STEM fields came up. I overheard a student from the engineering club tell the clubs adviser that one of the students did not want to attend the STEM fair because she would be the only girl going to the event. I knew I had to talk to her and make sure that she did not let that stop her from going. I have often had to be the only girl or be in the minority at different STEM related events throughout high school and college. I thought the student should go because it was a good experience and it would look good on a college application. I talked her and she told me this wasn't the real reason it was just because she could not think of a good reason to say no. It sounded like she thought the project she had been working on with other students was not really ready to be showcased in a fair. However I was glad that I took the opportunity to at least check in and make sure that she felt comfortable as a girl interested in STEM projects.

I just thought these were interesting events related to the classroom, math, and culture that I wanted to share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment