About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Glee Club

So students participate in clubs during 8th period from 3:45 to 4:30
every Tuesday and Wednesday. One student wanted to start a glee club
that consisted of listening and appreciating music. We tried to
explain to her that Glee club practiced songs and preformed. Then
another student proposed a pop and lock club. He wanted to do pop
dancing basically. So he proposed a dance club. We tried to convince
him that this club would fit in well with glee club since they sing
and dance. We had to combine clubs because there are only so many
teachers to be supervisors. He proposed this to the Glee club leader,
but their was a clash between their visions. Since these two students
disagreed then a senior who ran band club the previous year stepped
up. The other two students are juniors and hopefully can resolve their
issues to get along next year. They will be leaders next year during
their senior year. So basically I am dealing with the same drama of
Glee on TV. I definitively have a Rachel Barry personality. I am told
that they are even more intense than Rachel. I also have some warring
factions between the Dance people and the Singers. However on TV the
dancers sing and the singers dance. I got to get this message across.
It is going to be interesting.

I am really looking forward to it because I love music and I love
singing. I will have the students work on or try singing lots of
different songs. I hope to expose them to a lot of music like on Glee,
but still have time to prepare three or four songs for performances.

I will use my experience as student director to help run the Glee
club. I hope to listen to the students suggestions, but also direct
them as well. Kind of like Mr. Shu. One of the student leaders wants
to write songs. I know a little music theory and could help with that,
but I don't know how well that will work.

Music is a part of my soul and my life. So I am glad to welcome this
into part of my time teaching. Last year was the first year in
thirteen years that I was not singing in choir. Actually it was the
first year in probably 22 years that music did not take a form in my
life. Since in 22 years I always had a music class or at least one
choir to sing with (often there was way more than one). So I am glad
to have music back in my life.

However I am afraid I will never live up to Mr. Shu. I will also never
live up to some of the great directors I have had the great honor of
working with. I will never live up to doing as well as my director
from Corvallis, Carol Nelson, who inspired me to make music such a big
part of my life. She helped music come alive for me and become a vital
part of my life. I want my students to experience music like I did and
have that same impact. However I know I don't have the skills. I can't
wait until performance time where for once I can listen to a group I
helped teach and train. I have always been in the choir not in front
of it.

However I just got the club list and I have 24 students. Which is
fantastic except for the fact that it looks like I have all boys and
like three girls. I don't know what that means for parts. I guess I
will have the girls try to be sopranos. The boys that can sing higher
be sort of like soprano two's. Then have some tenor 2's of sort,
baritones, and bases. I am also worried I may have more dancers than
singers. We will see. It is funny because in the States it is totally
flipped. I will have to tell the club that next time we meet. I will
also have to perform a song for them. I am unsure of what I will sing.
I brought some sheet music with me of all of my favorite songs. So I
will probably sing one of those songs, but we will see which one I
pick . As well as can get ready for the group. When I had extra time
in one of my classes I sang for them. I sang whatever I still had
memorized.

Anyways thought I would tell you all about my plans for Glee club and
about the drama I am facing. I will take song suggestions as well. It
will be a fun year I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment